Scientific Research Institute of Energy
Scientific Research Institute of Energy
The history of Scientific Research Institute of Energy (SRIE) has begun since 1948. From the period of 1948 – 1963 it acted within the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Armenia as a Laboratory of Electrical Engineering and then as an Institute, and since 1961 as the Institute of Energy. During 1963-1992 the Institute was under the structure of the Ministry of Energy and Electrification of USSR. In those years, a number of departments were separated from the Institute on the bases of which have been founded 4 Research Institutes. SRIE was operating within the RA Ministry of Energy since 1992 and since 2008 - within the RA Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources and has Energy Strategy Centre.
The main directions of SRIE activities:
Forecast of the Development of Energy System:
- Data gathering and analysis of the statistical information on the demand of electricity and thermal energy,
- Forecasting of the electricity and thermal energy demand in the economy sectors and sub-sectors,
- Studies on energy sector development strategies,
- Development of the business plans for the Energy Facilities.
Pricing and Tariff Stabilization:
- Development of the technical and economical measures for the tariffs stabilization,
- Assessment of the energy market’s possible scenarios impacts on the tariffs,
- Study of the pricing mechanisms in market conditions.
Energy System Management:
- Review of the wholesale market organization for energy and capacity,
- Experience analysis, development of the programs for the establishment of the interconnections in the countries of the region,
- Scientific assistance to the privatization.
Losses in electrical networks:
- Calculations, forecast and analysis of the normative losses,
- Development of the technical and organizational measures targeted to the reduction of losses,
- Design and introduction of the electricity automotive computing systems in networks,
- Rating of the amount of self-consumption needs in power stations and 35/110/220 kV substations.
Energy Saving and Alternative Energy:
- Assessment of energy saving issues and energy sources,
- Development and passport system of the technical characteristics of power facilities,
- Development of the energy saving measures,
- Research of the rational use of alternative energy sources.
Power system operation modes:
- Development of the measures to the stabilization and reliability improvement of power system,
- Calculation and optimization of the electrical networks regimes,
- Study of steady-state and transient regimes of interconnections.
- Publishing and dissemination of legislative acts and normative documents,
- Project engineering, establishment of the shapes for the sites of engineering equipment and residential areas,
- Design of the engineering networks and systems (power supply, lighting, electrical heating),
- Energy measurements by an accredited laboratory.
Standards and norms:
- Development of the documentary projects, standards, methodologies and other instruments addressed to the improvement of the international normative harmonized technical regulations and rules,
- Harmonization of standards with international standards.
Information service and capacity building:
- Publishing of news bulletins reflecting the last developments in the sector,
- Provision of energy system facilities with the technical normative documents,
- Provision of consulting services in all areas of electrical networks and systems,
- Training of scientific staff in postgraduate study,
- Training of Energy system officials, engineering and technical staff through the periodic courses.
CJSC "Scientific-Research Institute of Energy" offers the following software packages ready for implementation that are provided for solving practical problems of managing network society:
- calculation, analysis of power losses in the networks of 110 kV and above and their automation;
- calculation, analysis and optimization of power losses in the networks of 35-6(10) -0.38 kV;
- techno-economic audit of fixed assets in the network society;
- automation of fixed assets of production in the network society;
- calculation program of the standard number of staff in the network society;
- implementation program of accounting and analysis of sales activities for the network society.
RA, 0025, Yerevan, Myasnikyan av. 5/1
Tel. 374 010 559 659
Web address: www.energinst.am